Monday, October 29, 2012

Pomegranate and Mandarin Orange Baby Kale Salad


Today's recipe features two ingredients that I discovered only last year. Yeah, okay, so I didn't really just discover that they existed - I knew what they were. I just never really gave them a chance. Quite honestly, kale scared me. I had no clue what to do with it. And pomegranate... I didn't even know where to being...

On two separate grocery shopping trips, I decided to be brave and bought each of them. On both occasions, I spent a couple of days contemplating what exactly I was going to do with them. With the kale, I decided to play it safe and make a kale salad... and I liked it. For the pomegranate, I had to lean on Google for some advice - how was I even supposed to cut into this thing? After a little research, I headed to the kitchen to dissect this interesting little fruit... 20 minutes later... Yes, 20 minutes later... I had finally removed all of the bright red seeds from the peel and membrane. Despite this time consuming process, I didn't regret it. I loved every tart, juicy bite of this wonderful fall fruit.

So here I am, no longer scared of kale and pomegranate, offering you a delicious, refreshing, crisp, tart, and sweet salad recipe. I hope you enjoy as much as I do.




Pomegranate and Mandarin Orange Baby Kale Salad

Ingredients

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp honey
Zest of 1 mandarin orange
Juice of 1 mandarin orange
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups baby kale
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1 mandarin orange, peeled and separated into wedges

Directions

In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, honey, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper.

Place kale in a bowl. Pour dressing over kale and toss to coat. Top with pomegranate seeds and orange wedges.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rose! I added an avocado half to the salad, and the other half blended with the dressing along with some chia seed to make it creamy. And I added some lingering fridge fruit (mango, pineapple) to the mix. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete