Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cranberry Cheesecake with Oatmeal Cookie Crust


I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I have been blessed in so many ways. Even though I'm sad that my family could not be together today, I had a wonderful day at home hosting my amazing in-laws.

Oh man... I'm full. Really, really full. Sad thing is, it's been several hours since I finished eating. I made a lot of food today. Not only was this my very first attempt at making a turkey, but also my first time to make the entire meal. I sure had fun making it, but man am I exhausted. I mean, I. am. warn. out. In case you were wondering, here's a recap of today's menu:

  • Roasted Turkey

  • Mashed Potatoes

  • Gravy

  • Stuffing (from scratch)

  • Green Bean Casserole (from scratch)

  • Mac and Cheese (from scratch)

  • Rolls (from scratch)

  • Sweet Potato Pie (crust and filling from scratch)

  • Whipped Cream (from scratch)
and last, but not least...
  • Cranberry Cheesecake with Oatmeal Cookie Crust

Of all these options, I've decided to highlight the cheesecake in today's post. I admit, I seriously failed at posting recipes for Thanksgiving. Please forgive me. Maybe I'll do a bit better for Christmas? I'll attempt to begin making it up to you by providing you with this deliciously amazing cheesecake. A few months back I wanted to make a cheesecake to bring over to my neighbor's for dinner. Lucky for me, my mother-in-law has a mean cheesecake recipe. I'm so glad I got it from her. It is to-die-for. Her recipe calls for a graham cracker crust, which is what I usually use, but the other day on the Cooking Channel I saw a cheesecake made with an oatmeal cookie crust. I was so intrigued, I had to try it.

How do you feel about cranberry sauce? My family has always had it on the Thanksgiving table, but I've never cared for it. I do like cranberries though. So instead of topping this with a canned pie filling, I decided not to leave cranberries behind and made a cranberry compote. It makes a great sweet and tangy topping for the cheesecake.


Ingredients
    For Crust
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract.
  • 1/2 unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • For Cheesecake
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (16 oz) container sour cream
  • 3 1/2 (8 oz) cream cheese bars, room temperature
  • For Compote
  • 2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
Instructions
    For Crust
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet.
  • In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream 1/4 cup butter with sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
  • Add oat/flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until flour is incorporated.
  • Spread the cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheet until about 1/2 inch thick.
  • Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Allow to cool on the baking sheet.
  • After the cookie has cooled, place in a large freezer bag.
  • Crush to small crumbs (the same as you would for a graham cracker crust) and pour in 1/2 cup melted butter and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
  • Once the butter and cinnamon are well incorporated into the cookie crumbs, dump the mixture into a spring form pan.
  • Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
  • For Cheesecake
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer, on low speed, blend eggs, sugar, vanilla, almond, lemon juice, and salt until fluffy (about 1 ½ to 2 min).
  • Blend in sour cream.
  • Cut each cream cheese bar into quarters and add a quarter at a time to mixture while mixer is on.
  • Pour over the cookie crust.
  • Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the edges are slightly brown.
  • Turn the oven off and prop open the oven door.
  • Allow the cheesecake to cool completely in the oven.
  • Move the cheesecake to the refrigerator and cool overnight or for at least 4 hours.
  • For Compote
  • Place cranberries, sugar, orange zest, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
  • In a small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch. Add to the saucepan.
  • Reduce heat to low and simmer until cranberries soften and begin to "pop."
  • Remove from heat and cool completely.
  • Serve over cheesecake.

2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic!!! I am most definitely going to make this for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete