Friday, November 16, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes

For the first 5 years that my husband and I were together he was convinced that he did not like pancakes. So for 5 years we didn't eat pancakes. 5 years! Finally, one morning earlier this year, when I really wanted some pancakes, I decided to just make them. If he didn't like them, he could figure something else out to eat. After calling him into the kitchen and telling him that breakfast was ready, I showed him what I had made. Pancakes. He kind of crinkled his nose in disappointment, but he said that he would at least try them. In hesitation, he took the first bite. Then the second. And before I knew it he had gobbled down the whole plate. He loved them! That's right, he loved my pancakes. I couldn't believe it. All this time he was adamant that he just wasn't a fan of pancakes. And all this time my kitchen had been pancake-less!

Ever since that day we've been having pancakes for breakfast every couple of weeks. He even asks me if I'll make them. Go figure. Just to keep things interesting we've tried regular, whole wheat, banana, vegan, chocolate chip, blueberry... and this morning pumpkin. I'm a fan. They're a great breakfast on a fall morning.


Pumpkin Pancakes

Ingredients

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 cup + 2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 egg

Directions

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and cloves.

In another bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, and egg.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.

Heat skillet over medium heat. Melt butter in skillet or spray with cooking spray.

Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.

Once the top of the pancake begins to bubble, flip. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Serve with syrup and your favorite topping (pecans in photo above).

Adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment